Monday 29 August 2011

Blissful Bank Holidays

There is nothing better than a bank holiday Monday, when you haven't gone away for the weekend. It feels like such a luxury to have an extra cheeky day off to indulge yourself in the kind of things that you wish you could do over a regular weekend but never find the time. Bank holidays are all about having a lie in, drinking copious amounts of tea, reading a book or magazine that you never get a chance to, or spending the time doing the things that make you content.

Myself and my other half are usually trekking over and back to Ireland or up and down to Edinburgh whenever we have a spare day off from the office, usually arriving home last thing in the evening before facing back into a week of work. Having a three day weekend in London means you get all your 'normal' tasks out of the way and still have 'me' time. 

I spent a lovely morning leafing through The Beginner's Guide to Floristry, a book I bought when I started my course to use as an additional source of information. It's a great book for basic techniques and has a wealth of background information on flower care and how to approach working with flowers. Inspired by my mornings reading I decided to head to the local supermarket to buy a few bunches and practise some of my skills that I picked up over the duration of my course. 

With plenty cups of tea, music on the stereo, the back doors thrown open and the sun and fresh air coming into the kitchen, I had a blissful afternoon preparing my flowers and planning how to use them. In the end I made a tall front facing vase arrangement for the willow, lisianthus and chrysanthemum blooms and then put together a small hand-tied bouquet of roses for my fish bowl vase, finishing it off with some ivy from the garden. 

If only all Mondays could be like this!


No comments:

Post a Comment