Sunday 10 July 2011

On The Verge Of Obsession

After two evenings attending my floristry course, I'm think I've developed something of an obsession. Suddenly all I think about are flowers. Their names, their shapes, their colours, the varieties, the possibilities.... and more overwhelmingly than anything else, how on earth am I going to develop my skills at being a florist, fast! There's no such thing as having 4 years to hone my craft here....

I know, I know.... baby steps etc. etc. and while finances (and a lack of space in my flat!) means I can't buy flowers to practise with everyday, I can definitely read and read and read about flowers. It's all knowledge, and even 15 mins a day working towards a goal is steady progress.

In week one of the course I did a very, very simple gift wrap bouquet. Even I could manage it! Using a combination of bright pink snapdragons, H3O roses, celosia and dahlias we created a bouquet where the intention is to give them to someone who has an interest in flowers and would like to arrange them themselves at home. The bouquet ensures that all the flowers can be seen and are grouped together to create an impact.



Having taken home my flowers, I practised my spiral and hand-tied bouquet arrangement again with the results as follows....



I love how the white tips of the snapdragon opened up over the course of the week, lending a paler hue to the bouquet. The celosias had beautiful deep pink feathers and the roses balanced the colour combination of the two perfectly. 

My 'Boy Scout' dahlia's were too short for this bouquet, so took pride of place in a structured vase of their own -  standing together for a more modern look. 


Check back later to see my results from week two.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment