Sunday 24 July 2011

Practise Makes Perfect

Hungry for new information, I was a bit disappointed that my last floristry class was a repeat of the one day course that I did a number of weeks ago. But of course practise makes perfect and while I think the classic hand-tied bouquet I made this time was marginally improved from my first efforts, I decided there was no point admiring my handiwork and took it apart to use the flowers in putting together some smaller posies.

Classic Hand-Tied Bouquet
The first bouquet is made up of just oriental helvetica lilies. The lilies have such a lovely shape and form when fully opened that three stems can provide a dramatic look on their own, so I have just paired them with some aspidistra leaves to provide a border of foliage.

Lilies and Aspidistra
The second bouquet is made up of white avalanche roses, double lisianthus rosita and million stars. The roses and lisianthus are blousy and delicate, and the million stars just add a bit of variety and height as they are placed slightly taller than the other flowers. With a slightly haphazard look, it's almost like they could have been picked from the garden that morning and would be perfect for an English country garden summer wedding.

Roses, Lisianthus  and Million Stars
The smaller posy is a bunch of million star and lisianthus, perfect for a tiny flower girls hand.


Grouped together, these three bouquets could easily work as a table centre display or the bunches could be repeated and dotted along the length of a trestle table to provide visual variety.


Disappointment long forgotten, I love the fact that the course has prompted new ideas in me. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have even known where to start with creating a bouquet, but after leaning just a few tips and techniques, I've got a willingness to try new things and experiment. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it's all practise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment